This was one of my first attempts at adapting a cookie recipe to be 100% vegan. It’s a very simple recipe, using ingredients that many vegans will have in their pantry (but feel free too swap the shredded coconut for rolled oats and the pumpkin seeds for any other nut). The cookies are hearty and delicious (and not too sweet).
Makes about 30 cookies
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 5 Tbsp water
- 1 cup (7.5 oz) virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (3.5 oz) sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (9.5 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (3.25 oz) shredded or flake coconut
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas), coarsely chopped in a food processor or blender
- Arrange oven racks at the 1/3 and 2/3 mark. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax seed and water with a fork. Let it rest, mixing occasionally, while you move into the next steps. It will become thick and gelatinous as it rests.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl (or in a mixer), beat the coconut oil, sugar and brown sugar, until smooth and creamy, and no chunks of coconut oil are visible. (Use a stiff rubber spatula to press out difficult bits of oil.)
- Add the flax mixture and vanilla, and stir until completely combined.
- Gently stir the flour mixture into the oil-sugar mixture, stopping just before it’s completely incorporated.
- Stir in the coconut and pumpkin seeds.
- With a spoon, form loosely shaped balls, about 1 to 1.5 inches in diameter, and set on parchment-lined baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until golden brown, about 15-16 minutes.
- Cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cookies will stay fresh for a few days, stored in a sealed container at room temperature. They also freeze beautifully.
Per cookie, based on making 30 cookies: 162 calories, 11g fat (9g saturated), 14g carbohydrates (1g fibre, 7g sugar), 2g protein.