This is a simple mushroom cream pasta dish that comes together quickly enough for a weeknight meal, but is fancy enough for a dinner party. It’s technically 100% vegan but so rich (from coconut milk and coconut yogurt) that nobody would ever know.
- 2 Tbs olive oil, coconut oil or other vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- koshe salt
- 1 lb mixed mushroom (I used oyster and shiitake, but any mushroom will work, including white button), sliced
- 2 Tbs red wine or any spirit (optional)
- 3 scoops vanilla protein powder (vegan or whey)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (full fat, well-shaken from a can)
- 1/2 vegan yogurt (plain), preferably with coconut base (for the flavour), but oat, soy or almond will work
- 3 Tbs nutritional yeast or homemade vegan parmesan
- 12-16 dried bucatini, spaghetti or other favourite pasta shape
- freshly ground black pepper
- Set a large pot of well-salted water on the stove over high heat, for cooking the pasta.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and 3/4 tsp salt, and cook until it just begins to colour, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring constantly, until the mushrooms start to release their liquid, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid is evaporated and the mushrooms are lightly browned.
- Add the wine or spirits and deglaze the pan.
- Add the coconut milk and yogurt. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency. Cover and set aside to stay warm.
- Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and return to pot, and add sauce. Stir until all the pasta is coated. Add half the nutritional yeast, as well freshly ground pepper and additional salt to taste.
- Serve, sprinkled with remaining nutritional yeast.
What did you think of this vegan mushroom cream pasta? Let us know in the comments!